Product vs. Content Marketing: What’s the difference?
July 08, 2016
Technology has rapidly evolved, and consequently, so has marketing. Although many traditional marketing mediums like mail and television still exist, there are also many new methods that are becoming more popular and influential every day. As a result, today’s marketing strategies typically fall into two categories: product marketing and content marketing.
- Product Marketing. Focuses on selling a product to a specific demographic through a traditional outreach, such as paid advertisements, television commercials, and direct mail.
- Content Marketing. Intended to attract potential buyers by building a strong brand reputation through online content, blogs, and social media.
To help you understand the benefits and drawbacks of these two types of marketing, we’ve outlined some key advantages of each strategy.
- Guaranteed Visibility. One major benefit of product marketing is that you are essentially guaranteed ample exposure. With product marketing, you get what you pay for. So if you have the funds to support a high-profile ad, such as a television spot during the Super Bowl, then you will know without a doubt that millions of people will see your ad. If you have a smaller budget and send out a mailer to 1,000 homes, then you will have confirmation that 1,000 people will receive it. Either way, you know for sure that your ads will be seen by a specific target audience.
- Fast Results. Product marketing typically provides its returns right away. As soon as the advertisement is out there, your product will be at the top of consumer’s minds and you will not have to wait to see the impact of your marketing effort. However, these results will wear off quickly, too. Therefore, this approach is most effective if you want to get fast, short-term sales right away.
- Straightforward Approach. Another positive aspect of product marketing is that the approach is much more straightforward than content marketing strategies. You don’t have to be subtle or try to hide the fact that it is an advertisement. Instead, you pitch your product and if consumers respond well to that pitch, they’ll buy it.
- Budget-Friendly. Content marketing strategies are usually much more cost effective than product marketing. For example, posting and engaging on social media is completely free, although it will take up time and energy to be done successfully. Therefore, content marketing is a great way to build your brand name without breaking the bank.
- Long-Term Results. Content marketing strategies cannot guarantee immediate visibility like product marketing can, but they can guarantee better long-term results. Once content is posted online, it is there to stay and will create value for an infinite amount of time. Conversely, a paid ad is only useful for as long as you continue to pay for it. If you want to make a name for yourself and build a strong long-term reputation for your brand, content marketing is definitely the way to go.
- Builds Customer Relationships. Perhaps the greatest benefit of content marketing is that it actively creates and serves to solidify a relationship with customers. Through online content, social media and engagement, customers will value and trust your brand resulting in higher overall customer satisfaction and retention rates. However, this approach can be complex. Building a strong relationship requires gaining brand visibility, recognition and consumer’s trust before a purchase is even made. Consequently, content marketing requires expertise and a long-term commitment to be successful.
When it comes to marketing, there are a million strategies you can use, but there’s usually only one right strategy for your situation. At Keenability, we understand what is necessary for a marketing strategy to work. Whether you’re looking to advertise a product with fast results, build your brand name, or both, we’ll work with you to craft the right marketing plan for you.
To learn more about how you can improve your businesses’ marketing efforts, give our South Florida marketing agency a call today.