November 29, 2017
If you’ve been treating your email signature simply as a sign off, you’re missing out on a prime opportunity to make an impression on the person at the receiving end. When that person is a prospective client, this fumbled opportunity could even lead to lost business.
Email signatures are an important, though often overlooked, component of any strong brand. Here are some tips for making the most of yours, as well as some mistakes to avoid at all costs.
1. Showcase your brand: Your email signature is a great place to shine the spotlight on your brand, so make sure it reflects your color scheme, fonts, and even your logo and tagline.
2. Include hyperlinks: In addition to adding a link to your website, incorporate links to key social media profiles and review sites review sites. You’ll drive traffic to these profiles as a result, as well as enhance your chances of building a lasting relationship with the person on the receiving end.
3. Optimize for mobile: These days, most people access their email from their phones. In fact, Litmus reports that mobile accounts for up to 56 percent of opens. This means creating an email signature that seamlessly translates to mobile is top priority.
4. Update regularly: Though your email signature shouldn’t require regular maintenance, it is important to check in every once in awhile to update any necessary details. Whether your contact information has changed or you were utilizing this space to promote an event that has since passed, be sure your email signature is always current.
The most effective email signatures are the product of teamwork between a skilled designer, an experienced digital marketer, and even a programmer. We know what you’re thinking: “Isn’t this a lot of work for a simple email signature?” Absolutely not. When done right, your email signature can serve as a strong tool for securing leads. Without guidance from a Boca Raton marketing agency, you might find yourself making some of these embarrassing, and costly, mistakes.
1. Including your email address: You’d be surprised to learn how many people are guilty of making this error. If you’re already emailing someone, there’s really no need to remind them of your email address within your signature.
2. Leaving the “sent from my iPhone” setting on: This line, along with any corny phrases requesting that your typos be forgiven, is completely unnecessary. The receiver doesn’t care what you’re using to send the email, and they probably won’t forgive your typos even if you ask. Keep your device of choice to yourself and proofread your emails before sending.
3. Failing to test on other email clients: Just because your email signature looks fantastic on your chosen email client, doesn’t mean it will look the same for the person you’re sending it to! Be sure to test out your signature on various platforms to guarantee it appears the way you intend it to.
4. Overdoing it: While your email shouldn’t be comprised solely of your name, that doesn’t mean you need to include every detail under the sun either. Keeping it simple is always a good rule of thumb. This means you don’t have to incorporate a link to every social platform, nor should you use outrageous fonts and colors. Skip the Comic Sans and focus on staying in line with your brand for the best results.
If your current email sign-off is lackluster, our Boca Raton marketing agency can help you get your email signature to work for you. Give us a call today to discuss how we can build a signature that will help generate more leads for your business.